Monday, February 21, 2011

Only the strong survive

My colleague Dave S. gave me some sound advice when I told him that I would be running a marathon. "Get in your strength training now. You're gonna need it," he said. I suppose the very fact that you're expecting your legs to carry you 26.2 miles and not stop or fall over would require some muscle strength.

I do my strength training on Monday nights as part of a class at LifeTime Fitness. It's a group strength training class called "TTT." That stands for tummy, tush, and thighs. No men in our group--I wonder why?? It's been a helpful addition to the training plan as I HATE strength training. I just find it tedious as I'd rather be moving fast. But, it really a key part of endurance, so off I go to do what needs to be done.

No running tonight. This week begins another ramp up by adding a running day on Wednesday. That means I strength train Monday, run Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, yoga on Friday, run on Saturday and Sunday. All I can say is, "thank goodness for the iPod!"

Distance run: 117.6
Deficit from plan: -15
Today's quote: "Rule 1: Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule 2: It's all small stuff, except a 15 pound barbell triceps curl."

No comments:

Post a Comment