Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Thinking of my Grandpa

Today was my last run in Arizona. I've been here since Friday night to be with my Grandfather, Frank, as he was in hospice care. He passed away late on Sunday night after a long battle with emphysema. In the end, he was fighting for breath, something I would never wish on anyone.

I was running four miles on the treadmill really struggling today. It was just hard to get strength to my legs and to catch my breath. Every time I took a really deep breath, I thought of him and how I wish I could have just given him my lungs at the end. That probably sounds pretty stupid. Who can watch a loved one suffer and not want to ease their pain, or take it away, or take it in their place?

I am fortunate. My family has much love to give and many great memories of our life together. That is what will push me to go the distance. Knowing that I have a big group of people who believe in me as much as I believe in myself. Please, hug your family and tell them that you love them.

1 comment:

  1. Bonnie, you are so awesome! You are a true inspiration to all of us! I admire your dedication to your Marathon, you always find time to train no matter the circumstances. Keep that passion, as it sustains you through all of life's trials and tribulations. Hats off to you!

    ReplyDelete